Afrin Sultana Chowdhury
International Joint Masters in Innovative Medicine (Oxford University, Heidelberg University, Uppsala University)
|Blood Group: B+|
|Joining Date : 14/09/2018|
Oncology, Immunology, Molecular biology, Epidemiology
About Afrin Sultana Chowdhury
Afrin Sultana Chowdhury is now working as a faculty member of the Department of Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering at Noakhali Science and Technology University. As an Erasmus Mundus scholar Afrin gained research experience at Oxford University on inflammation biology. She also worked in different top ranked research organizations including Karolinska Institute, Sweden; German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ) and International Center for Diarrheal Disease Research, Bangladesh (icddr,b).
At present she is supervising several research projects focusing on the identification of genetic variations in diabetes, leukemia and cardiovascular patients. Besides, she is running another project on water quality testing and heavy metal identification.
Apart from her research career Afrin is engaged with different leadership activities. Currently, she is working with the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) as a Young Ambassador with a vision to promote higher education and research in Germany. During free time Afrin likes to travel and to engage with cultural activities. Until now she has traveled more than twenty countries.
● Datta A, Hasan Mazumder MH, Chowdhury AS, Hasan MA, “Functional and Structural Consequences of Damaging Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms (SNPs) in Human Prostate Cancer Predisposition Gene RNASEL”, BioMed Research International, 2015, 271458, 15 (I.F.:2.58)
● Hasan MA, Khan MA, Sharmin T, Hasan Mazumder MH, Chowdhury AS, “Identification of putative drug targets in Vancomycin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (VRSA) using computer aided protein data analysis”, Gene, 2016, 575(1), 132-43 (I.F.: 2.31)
● Hasan MA, Hasan Mazumder MH, Chowdhury AS, Datta A, Khan MA, “Molecular docking study of malaria drug target enzyme transketolase in Plasmodium falciparum 3D7 portends the novel approach to its treatment”, Source Code for Biology and Medicine, 2015, 22(10):7 (I.F.: 0.74)
● Hasan MA, Hussain H, Chowdhury AS, Dhar SB, Abedin M, Fima N, “Computational identification of potential microRNAs and their targets from expressed sequence tags of marijuana (Cannabis sativa)”, Meta Gene, 2016, 10, 45-55 (I.F.: 0.89)
● Oany AR, Sharmin T, Chowdhury AS, Jyoti TP, Hasan MA, “Highly conserved region in Ebola virus RNA dependent RNA polymerase may be act as a universal novel peptide vaccine target: a computational approach”, in silico Pharmacology, 2015, 3(1):7
● Chowdhury AS, Tamanna S, "Radiation-induced side effects in breast cancer patients and factors affecting them", Asian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, 2020
● Chowdhury AS, Ahmed E, Islam NN, "Association of Giardia lamblia Infection with Child Growth Impairment" doi.org/10.1101/2020.05.15.20103242
● Chowdhury AS, Tamanna S, Kar K, "Role of macrophage in atherosclerosis" - currently under review
Experiences and Activities
Feb 2019–July 2019 Visiting Researcher
Sep 2018–Jan 2019 Masters Internship
Nov 2017– Jul 2018 Masters Internship
Mar 2018– Jul 2018 Assistant Researcher
Jul 2016– Dec 2016 Research Fellow
Nov 2015– Jun 2016 Masters Thesis
Feb 2015– May 2015 Research Assistant
Honors and awards
▪ Best Research Presentation Award- at the national congress of Network of Young Biotechnologist of Bangladesh
▪ Individual Research Grant- awarded by NSTU Research Cell
▪ Joint Project Research Grant- awarded by NSTU Research Cell
▪ Erasmus Mundus Joint Masters Scholarship- awarded by European Commission
▪ EIT Health Travel Grant for presenting poster at 'Industry and Innovation day 2019' in Germany
▪ Award of Excellence- awarded by Chittagong University for scoring highest cGPA in M.Sc.
▪ Chittagong University Merit scholarship- for scoring highest cGPA in B.Sc.
▪ Best Poster Award at DNA Day Poster Competition arranged by the University of Dhaka
▪ “Role of IkBNS in B cell differentiation in to plasma cell” in the Industry and Innovation Day 2019, jointly organized by EIT health and Heidelberg University
▪ “Functional and Structural Consequences of Damaging Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms (SNPs) in Human Prostate Cancer Predisposition Gene RNASEL” in the DNA Day 2016, organized by Dhaka University