Mohammad Mahbub Kabir
M.S in Environmental Sciences (Jahangirnagar University)
B.Sc. (Hons.) in Environmental Sciences (Jahangirnagar University)
|Blood Group: O+|
|Joining Date : 04/03/2018|
Environmental Microbiology, Environmental Biotechnology, Wastetwater Treatment , Groundwater Hydrogeochemistry, Emerging Environmental Contaminants (EECs), Bioremediation and Bioconversion of Environmental Contaminants, Human Health Risk Assessment (HHRA), Food Adulteration
About Mohammad Mahbub Kabir
“My current research investigations focus on the presence of environmental contaminants in the environment, their interaction mechanisms in the nature and the underlying route or path they take to the receptors (soil, water, air, human, animals, plants etc.). Interestingly, I do believe microorganisms can be the best contender for degradation/detoxification/remediation of environmental contaminants integrated with other innovative technologies.”
Mr. Mohammad Mahbub Kabir completed his B. Sc. (Hons.) and M.S in Environmental Sciences from Jahangirnagar University, Bangladesh. He has a diverse professional experiences in industries, consulting firm, research instituttion and academia. In his early career he served as an Executive-Environmental and Chemical Responsible (ECR) at Turag Garments and Hosiery Mills Ltd., a leading RMG factories of Bangladesh, later he joined Shahidul consultant a fastest growing Environmental Consulting firm as an Environmental Consultant, he then wrked as a research fellow in Designated Reference Institute for Chemical Measurement (DRiCM) Laboratory, Bangladesh Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (BCSIR), Dhaka. His journey as anacademician initiated in 2018 when joined NSTU as a Lecturer. He is interested in the field of environmental microbiology, environmental biotechnology, environmental toxicology, bioremediation and bioconversion of environmental contaminants, hydro-geochemistry and water pollution, Food adulteration and toxicology, Human health risk assessment (HHRA) etc.
Mr Kabir has special skills in Basic microbiological techniques, Cell culture, DNA/RNA isolation, Gel electrophoresis, PCR, DNA sequencing and bioinformatics. He has also expertizes knowledge on photometric analysis of environmental contaminants by Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer (AAS) and UV-Visible Spectrophotometer. Mr. Mahbub has also technical expertizes on Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR), Ion-Chromatography (IC), and Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM). He has special interest on emerging environmental contaminants (EECs) and their effects on human health like antibiotic residues in water matrices and Perfluorinated Compounds (PFCs). Currently, Mr. Kabir has been supervising six (6) undergraduate students and three (03) M.S students.
His current research activities are mainly focused on isolation and characterization of multiple heavy metals and drug resistant bacteria, their pathogenicity from different environmental medium in order to exploit them for bioremediation of toxic metals and public health risk management. He is highly enthusiastic in research collaboration both in Bangladesh and abroad for scientific innovation and technological develepment for sustainable environmental protection.
For Mr Kabir`s research activities please visit him on:
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=-SNB9uAAAAAJ&hl=en
A. Journal Articles
1. Kabir MM, Fakhruddin ANM, Chowdhury MAZ, Pramanik K, Ferdous Z (2017) Isolation and characterization of chromium (VI)-reducing bacteria from tannery effluents and solid wastes. World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, 34: 126. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11274-018-2510-z. Publisher: Springer (ISI Impact Factor 2.10).
2. Kabir MM, Fakhruddin ANM, Chowdhury MAZ, Fardous Z, Islam R (2017) Characterization of tannery effluents of Hazaribagh area, Dhaka, Bangladesh. Pollution, 3(3): 395-406. DOI: 10.7508/pj.2017.03.005 (Indexed in Clarivate Analytics and Scopus)
3. Anny FA, Kabir MM, Bodrud-Doza M (2017) Assessment of surface water pollution in urban and industrial areas of Savar Upazila, Bangladesh. Pollution, 3(2): 243-259. DOI: 10.7508/pj.2017.02.007 (Indexed in Clarivate Analytics and Scopus)
4. Nitol SA, Kabir MM, Sultana F, Sultana N, Hossain S, Saadat AHM (2016) Quality analysis of potable water at Dakshin Khan in Dhaka City, Bangladesh. Journal of Biodiversity and Environmental Sciences, 8(5): 128-135.
5. Sultana F, Kabir MM, Sultana N, Sikder T, Uddin MK (2016) Removal efficiency of Chromium (VI) ions from aqueous solution by adsorption of rice husk and saw dust ash as a homogenous composite. International Journal of Environmental Sciences, 6(6): 987-994. DOI: 10.6088/ijes.6093
6. Rikta SY, Rahman MS, Mehjabin JJ, Uddin MK, Kabir MM, Tareq SM (2016) Evaluation of water quality parameters and humic substances status of Bangshi, Dhaleshwari and Padma Rivers in Bangladesh. International Journal of Environmental Sciences, 6(6): 1129-1139.
7. Chowdhury MAI, Kabir MM, Sayed AF, Hossain S (2016) Estimation of rainfall patterns in Bangladesh using different computational methods (arithmetic average, thiessen polygon and isohyet). Journal of Biodiversity and Environmental Sciences, 8 (1):43-51.
8. Chowdhury MAI, Kabir MM, Sayed AF, Sultana N (2015) Pressurized population growth with progressive health facility, life expectancy and declining death in Bangladesh. International Research Journal of Social Sciences. 4 (10): 1-10.
9. Fazal SA, Bhuiyan MAH, Chowdhury MAI, Kabir MM (2015) Effects of industrial agglomeration on land-use patterns and surface water quality in Konabari, BSCIC area at Gazipur, Bangladesh. International Research Journal of Environmental sciences, 4 (11): 42-49.
10. Chowdhury MAI, Bhuyain MAH, Kabir MM (2015) Assessment of River encroachment and land use patterns in Dhaka City and its peripheral Rivers using GIS techniques. International Journal of Geomatics and Geo-sciences, 6 (2): 1556-1567.
11. Ahmed F, Kabir MM, Fakhruddin ANM (2017) Degradation of diesel and phenol using bacteria isolated from petroleum hydrocarbon contaminated soil. Bangladesh journal of Scientific and Industrial Research, 53(1), 53-62. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3329/bjsir.v53i1.35911
12. Shurovi Zaman, Md Kamrul Hasan, Sayma Khanom, Tasrina Rabia Choudhury and Mohammad Mahbub Kabir (2019) Assessment of Water and Sediment Quality of Noakhali Canal, Noakhali, Bangladesh, International Journal of Environmental Sciences and Natural Resources, 17(3), DOI: 10.19080/IJESNR.2019.17.555963
13. Salam, M. A. Kabir, M. M., Yee, L. F., A/l Eh Rak, A. and Khan, M.S (2019) Water Quality Assessment of Perak River, Malaysia. Pollution, 5(3): 637-648, DOI: 10.22059/poll.2019.274543.570 (Indexed in Clarivate Analytics and Scopus)
14. I. Kayes, S.A. Shahriar, K. Hasan, M. Akhter, M.M. Kabir, M.A. Salam (2019) The relationships between meteorological parameters and air pollutants in an urban environment. Global Journal of Environmental Science and Management, 5(3): 265-278, DOI: 10.22034/gjesm.2019.03.01 (Indexed in Clarivate Analytics and Scopus)
15. Mohammed Abdus Salam, Siti Fazlin Binti Othman, Md. Shohel Khan, Mohammad Mahbub Kabir, Aweng E R, Md. Abdul Khaleque (2019). Assessment of Water Quality and Sedimentary Nutrient Status of Tumpat Mangrove Swamp Forest at Kelantan Delta, Malaysia, Borneo Journal of Sciences and Technology, 1 (1) 21-28.
16. Protima Sarker, MD. Shahidul Islam and Mohammad Mahbub Kabir (2019) Removal of iron and turbidity from ground water by natural and chemical coagulants. International Research Journal of Environmental Sciences, 8(1), 36-41
17. Mohammad Mahbub Kabir, Ferdousi Sultana, Md. Mostafizur Rahman, M. Khabir Uddin (2019) Chromium (VI) removal efficacy from aqueous solution by modified Tea Wastes-Polyvinyl Alcohol (TW-PVA) composite adsorbent. Desalination and Water Treatment, Accepted (2019)
18.Hydro-geochemical Investigation of Groundwater Quality and Human Health Risk: A Case Study of Noakhali Sadar Upazilla, Noakhali, Bangladesh (2019). Manuscript waiting for submission in Water Exposure and Health (Springer, IF, 4.85).
19.Investigation of Hydro-geochemistry and Groundwater Quality of Noakhali Coastal Region, Noakhali, Bangladesh (2019). Manuscript waiting for submission in Environmental Geochemistry and Health (Springer, IF, 2.99).
20.Investigation of impurities and human health risk of different commercially available branded and non-branded consumer salts in Bangladesh (2019). Manuscript waiting for submission in Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety (Elsvier, IF, 3.99).
21.Exploring Sustainability of Adaptive Livelihood through Livelihood Vulnerability Index (LVI): A Case Study of Nijhum Dwip Island, Hatiya Upazilla, Noakhali, Bangladesh (2019). Manuscript waiting for submission in Global Social Welfare (Springer).
22.Investigation of Heavy Metals Induced Human Health Risk in Marine Fishes and Foods at Kedah and Selangor Coastal Regions, Malaysia (2019). Manuscript waiting for submission in Environments (MDPI).
23. Assessment of human health and ecological risks posed by heavy metals in sediments of the Dhaleswari River, Bangladesh (2019). Manuscript waiting for submission in Environmental Sustainability (Springer).
Experiences and Activities
Organization: Noakhali Science and Technology University (NSTU), Noakhali, Bangladesh, Department: Department of Environmental Sciences and Disaster Management, Position: Lecturer, Period: April 2018 to present.
List of undergraduate thesis/dissertations supervised: